How can Clients Reissue SSL Certificates
You may need to have your SSL certificate reissued for various reasons. For example:
- A change to your CSR (Certificate Signing Request)
- The loss of a private key
For a certificate to be reissued, the approver email must approve the reissue. Approval can only be done via the approval email and not through other DCV methods.
1. What are the steps?
To reissue a certificate on behalf of the client, use the Login as Owner link from the client's Summary tab to access the client area.
To reissue a certificate, ask your client to perform the following steps:
- Log in to the Client Area.
- Navigate to Services > My Services. A list of all of the client's active services will appear.
- Click the SSL certificate that you want to reissue to go to that SSL product page or, if the SSL certificate is a hosting account addon, select the hosting account product and locate the SSL certificate in the Addons tab.
- Click Reissue Certificate in the Actions menu.
- Paste the new CSR then click Continue.
When the information is submitted, the system will send an approval email to the email address, and after approval the system will send the certificate.
To reissue a certificate, the Approval Email must approve the reissuance. Approval can only be done via the approval email.
6. Click Retrieve Certificate in the Actions menu to see the new certificate once issued.
2. How long does it take for my SSL Certificate to be issued?
The time it takes for an SSL certificate to be issued will vary depending on the type of SSL certificate. Processing may require more time if additional information is required for the following items:
- Domain Validation Typically issued within minutes. In some rare cases, it can be held for additional validation.
- OV and EV DigiCert begins processing all orders within one business day and will issue your SSL certificate when authentication is complete.
- During the validation process, DigiCert will send you updates on any required actions, like validating the business or organization.
- Authentication for new certificates may require 24 hours or up to several days, depending on the verification information you provide and whether your certificates are preapproved.
3. Can an SSL be reissued to another domain?
After issueance, an SSL certificate cannot be reissued to a different domain name. If you wish to use an SSL certificate for a different common name, you will need to purchase a new SSL certificate.